Thursday 3 September 2009

R.I.P. IV Challenge

Hosted by Carl, this challenge is about all things that go bump in the night. There are seven subgenres:
  • Mystery
  • Suspense
  • Thriller
  • Dark Fantasy
  • Gothic
  • Horror
  • Supernatural
The aim of the game it to read either 4, 2 or 1 books from any of these subgenres by October the 31st and have fun doing it :P Because i'm predicting an intense year at college i am only going to put my name down for Peril the Second, which is to read two books, but i hope to do better than that.

Its recommended to create a pool of books you'd like to read from, so im going to write down some that i have waiting on my shelves, but will look into aquiring others to read instead/aswell.

  1. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
  2. The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
  3. Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen (its supposed to be a piss take of gothic horror novels)
  4. The Host - Stephenie Meyer (not sure if this one counts)
  5. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
  6. Dracula - Bram Stoker
  7. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
  8. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (i've tried reading this twice, but its freaked me out to much, so am going to include it, definitely spooky for me :P)
  9. Agatha Christie - (have a few to choose from, ABC mysteries, Towards Zero, Onboard the Orient Express etc)
I also have two stories in a selection of Victorian mysteries called Nottinghill mystery and Carmilla by J. Sheridan le fanu which i dont know anything about, but may look into

Library books: Wicked - Maguire (not sure if counts as spooky :P), Kitty Goes to Washington -Carrie Vaughn, Grave Peril - Jim Butcher, Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris and Sunshine by McKinley.

Ones i've had my eye on getting for a while (and this would be a good excuse :P): Inkdeath - Funke, Inkexchange - Melissa Marr, The Graveyard book - Gaiman and Breaking Dawn - Meyer (have been delaying the inevitable with that last one, too many of my friends are obsessive about it and it puts me off) some of these are probably a pretty loose interpretation of spooky, but shall see how it goes.

Personally, i think this is going to be fun :)

6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the inkheart series! All of them!
    Other than that ..the Historian was a pretty good read, and I don't even read those type books! I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, me too :) i've been hanging onto the historian for a while now, not quite sure if i wanted to read it or not, but i think im going to give it ago :)

    -and i totally agree, the inkheart books are awesome, i think i've left it too long and need to get my hands on this last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for comming by my blog. I don't know how you discovered my "own books" no one ever does lol.. the list is long, none are stored, however if you note next to the titles some say (Brent) or (Carl) this mean I gave them away to those people Brent is my grandson so many YA books I give to him (except my absolute favorites which I will read again .. like Inkheart!) So I don't "own" as many but I leave the titles so I remember I read them and did own them. The list is long but when I look around at the books I am surprised that they look so few in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DesLily-I can't remember how i found it but its provided me with some inspiration of potential reads :) and its nice to find another person who loves to re-read ;)

    Bluestocking-so far i've only read And Then There Were None, but it was awesome, so i definitely want to read more :) I found the plot tremendous fun to guess at

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for joining in Jenny. From the look of your potential reads list there is no doubt that you have some amazing reading experiences ahead of you.

    I read Carmilla years ago, after seeing the Hammer Horror version of the film. It was okay, worth reading because Le Fanu was one of the earlier authors writing about vampires, but not the best short story I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete